What to do in case of a...

Traffic accident

What is it?

A road accident occurs when you cause or suffer an unplanned collision with a vehicle, a person, an animal… on the public highway.

Traffic law is the field that deals with road accidents.

Accidents with or without injuries

According to the Highway Traffic Act, if you are involved in a traffic accident, you must first determine whether or not there are injuries.

  1. If people are injured
  • Assist any injured persons;
  • Fill out an accident report;
  • Call the police;
  • Contact your insurance company.

Show your identification card to anyone involved in the accident who asks for it.

  1. If the damage is only material
    Fill out an accident report or risk being prosecuted in police court for hit and run. If you and the other party recognize the facts and are in agreement, fill out and sign an amicable accident report. If you disagree, it is advisable to call the police
Completing the accident report amicably

Completing the accident report amicably

In a panic, you can quickly forget to fill out the form, or even fill it out incorrectly. Each party must fill out their side of the form, indicate their version of the facts and finally sign it.

A sketch of the accident must be made. It is extremely important for insurance purposes: If disagreements between the parties arise, it is advisable that each party indicates his or her remarks on the drawing.

If you can, take pictures of the accident scene and the damage to the vehicle. This will support your version of events and better inform the insurance company or the police court if necessary.

Call the police

Call the police

If the damage is only material, calling the police is not mandatory. However, if you cannot reach an agreement with the other party, it is strongly advised to call the police.

It is mandatory to call the police if

  • People are injured;
  • An urban infrastructure is damaged (road sign, wall…).

Even if the police intervene, it is preferable to fill out an amicable report.

Contact the insurance company

Contact the insurance company

After your accident, it is necessary to contact your insurance company and explain your accident to them.

In general, the insurer will offer you a compensation. Before accepting the compensation, check the amount of the compensation. This amount must be in accordance with the jurisprudence.

I practice my services in the following cities...

  • Aalst
  • Antwerp
  • Arlon
  • Oudenaarde
  • Beringen
  • Bruges
  • Brussels
  • Charleroi
  • Kortrijk
  • Eupen
  • Furnes
  • Ghent
  • Genk
  • Hall
  • Hasselt
  • Huy
  • Liege
  • Leuven
  • Maaseik
  • Malines
  • Marche-en-Famenne
  • Mons
  • Namur
  • Neufchâteau
  • Nivelles
  • Saint-Nicolas
  • Sint-Truiden
  • Termonde
  • Tongres
  • Tournai
  • Turnhout
  • Verviers
  • Vilvoorde
  • Wavre
  • Ypres